Thursday 30 May 2013

A café-like heaven rhubarb cake {and a little rant}


I'm in the midst of applying for universities right now (uhoh exciting!) and my full time job is about to start any time soon as well (I'm so happy to get an organised schedule back. This whole every-week-is-different does have some pros but is also really exhausting).
So with this, sounding all nice and organised here comes another rant (sorrysorrysorry....though maybe you're familiar with the problem?!). You might have noticed that my kit is/was/seems-to-be-forever sick. And it didn't turn out as one of those '10-days and everything is fine again '. Nope. There were complications. Operations. More complications. By now, she's feeling much better. Except for the part, that she feels so much better now, she notices, she doesn't like her current situation. And that's where my problem starts.
She wants to be on my lap/legs/belly/arms 24/7. Non. Stop.
If she doesn't get her way, she complains.
She constantly keeps trying to remover her suit aka: get to her stitches and remove them (not that we already did that. Twice. She keeps trying).
She is still rather....uhm...clumsy with her toilet. Which stands in my room. Enough of that.
The list goes on. And on. And on.

I am so sorry! I know this is 'just' a cat. But seriously?! Sometimes she feels like a tantrum throwing toddler right now (ok it's not that bad, but close).
Anyway. This is where I wish the part of me being a super woman with no ending strength, nerves and endurance would start. Sorry to disappoint you. Not happening here.
I tried everything. It didn't help. So this afternoon (uhm more like half an hour ago) the cat hat to move into my mums studio again. Without me.

Don't get me wrong. I love my cat. I just felt that at this point of our relationship, distance would be a good option for both of us.
End of the story. I'm defeated.

By the way. This whole thing makes me think of meditation...do you do that? My family is rather...actively interested in this kind of stuff so I get a lot of times that I should be starting doing it since I'm such an overactive and definitely-not-grounded person. Though every time I try it ends like this (sorry dad, the grounding part will have to wait for later...years...uhm):

 Ignore the weird subtitles...

Anyway. This post actually got written because I wanted to share another recipe with you. And this time my mum baked it. She normally never really gets around to it because either she doesn't feel like it or I already baked something. This time she was lucky (I was cat-occupied).


Simple but oh-so-delicious rhubarb cake

The original recipe is from here, though my mum tweaked a few things (I think I just got from where I got my tweaking-recipes part). This one includes the tweaks, for the original one, just follow the link above (though that one is German).

You'll need:
  • 400gr rhubarb
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 100gr butter
  • 180gr brown sugar
  • 1 package vanilla sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 130ml egg liqueur
  • 180gr whole grain flour + 100gr normal flour
  • 2 Tablespoons baking powder
  1. Preheat your oven to 170°C/338°F.
  2. Cut your rhubarb into 1cm pieces and let them soak with your tablespoon sugar. (About 10 min. will work).
  3. Beat until fluffy: Butter and sugar. 
  4. Add egg and beat until fluffy again.
  5. Add all the liquid ingredients and mix. After that, add all the dry ingredients.
  6. Fill into your pan and add your rhubarb pieces on top.
  7. Put it into the oven for 50 minutes or until a inserted toothpick comes out clean. 
Tip: Don't butter the sides of your pan! The butter makes the sides get hot faster. Therefore the cake will be done earlier. That means your sides won't rise as much as the middle part of the cake will. If you don't butter them, thinks will be pretty even ;)
We also found, that the egg liqueur taste wasn't really strong what might have been due to the fact that we used whole grain flour. However it kept it really moist. In the original recipe, they only use normal flour and people kept saying how wonderful the liqueur taste would add to the the whole cake experience. So you might want to try it out.


What I love(d) about that cake is, that it's so simple. You mix your stuff. And after it comes out of the oven it's done. No fancy-schmanzy things but old and simple basics. And still: It's soft, it's moist, it's fluffy, the balance between sweet and sour is perfect. It is one of those cakes that just simply stand for themselves and are awesome that way. Enjoy!
Oh and it's not like I wait for days to take my pictures (Since:only a quarter of the original cake is in the picture). That was within the 24 hours range after that cake made it out of the oven...ups ;)
And you can eat it right after it comes out of the oven! With a serving on vanilla ice cream. omgsogood,wehadtwoservings...uhm yes. I did anyway.
I'll be back on trying to get this meditation thing working. I'm at least sporting yoga clothes right now. I always feel more grounded just by wearing them (is that weird. I guess no). The meditation will just have to wait a bit longer ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment