Monday 29 April 2013

Ginger-Lime-Rhubarb Compote {an after pie date}

Do you have certain routines you tend to stick to?

I was thinking about that recently while I was reading through old blog entrees I had posted back in Vancouver (Well it was this certain one). I think I do have a coffee routine for example (two coffees each day (don't judge me!) one after breakfast and one after lunch). Or a bath routine. But what are routines exactly? I sort of think, they are probably nothing more than rather specific habits.

Anyway. Back to what I actually wanted to talk about. Pie. As in the pie I made this weekend and I was posting about yesterday.
I told you that I somehow was sort of a bit unsure (haha that does sound quite uncertain!!) about the whole tofu thing. So, yesterday I took that pie to another level. And after that I felt more than a 100% sure about the recipe!!

I love the colors of rhubarb
And the smell of ginger
Rhubarb-Ginger-Lime Compote
You'll need:
(My pre-skype cooking because I woke up too early am apparently bad at math)
  • 1 package rhubarb (I think that meant about 8-10 rhubarb "rods")
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 piece fresh ginger (thumb-size)
  • a bit lime juice (I used my leftovers from making the pie...so probably 1 Tablespoon)
  1. Wash and cut your rhubarb into small pieces.
  2. Fill into a large sauce pan and cover with the sugar and the lime juice.
  3. Let it sit for at least one hour (Until the rhubarb released some liquid).
  4. Bring to a boil until the rhubarb has softened and the whole thing has a compote-consistency.
  5. Turn off the heat and add your pealed piece of ginger.
  6. Let it simmer for another few minutes. Remove the ginger afterwards.
Either leave it in the sauce pan and eat it immediately plain, with yogurt or with vanilla ice cream, or keep it for the next day. Or fill it into a jar. If you want to keep it longer, flush the jar with boiling water and fill the rhubarb compote in while it's boiling. This way the jar will "seal" itself and you'll be able to keep it longer. We however, didn't keep it longer.
Because: If you take a piece of that awesome pie, add some vanilla ice cream and left over crust crumbs AND pour some rhubarb-ginger compote about the whole thing...

...it's going to be heaven!!!! Trust me!


Otherwise today is the start of my work week (I got Monday off but I'll have to work Saturday so that's kind of fair). Happy work to you all! (I'm trying to convince myself with my own enthusiasm...does this count as cheating?)

No comments:

Post a Comment